Key Stage 3
French is taken by all students in years 7 and 8 as a first language.
In year 7 and 8 students from sets 1, 2, 3 and 4 have the opportunity to study Spanish as a second language. At the end of Year 8 students must choose one language for further study.
Students follow the Studio and Viva course books in French and Spanish respectively. These are fully differentiated 11-14 courses. In Year 9, all students will begin the GCSE course in their chosen language. Course books have been written to:
- Reflect the world students live in
- Use contexts familiar to them in their everyday lives
- Give them an insight into the everyday life of and culture of France/Spain and other French/Spanish speaking countries to promote intercultural understanding
- Focus on the skills of translation from and to the target language
- Analyse literary texts in the target language
- Develop the skills of classroom talk to enhance pupil’s ability to communicate in the target language
Key Stage 4
In year 10 students continue with their French or Spanish course.
Students follow the Edexcel text book for both languages. These books are:
- designed to provide complete coverage of the GCSE specification
- help students improve their language-learning skills and equip them with the skills to enhance their performance in their exams
- reflect social issues relevant to young people today
- provide young people with in an insight into the lives of other young people from French/Spanish speaking countries to develop intercultural understanding
To reflect and promote the diversity of the school community, we have provided GCSE accreditation in Polish as well as a range of other languages.
The Department aims to:
- Inspire a love for language learning
- Provide high quality learning in a caring environment
- Develop skills in oral communication
Exam Board: Edexcel