De La Salle School and Language College is firmly committed to the concept of equality of opportunity in relation to our employment practices and the provision of education. We oppose all forms of unlawful discrimination, and seek to provide a working and learning environment which is free from discrimination.
We have a duty under the Education Act 1944 to secure, preserve and develop the character of the school as a Roman Catholic voluntary aided school and to conduct the school in accordance with the provisions of its Trust Deed. Similarly, the Governors have formulated criteria for student admissions based largely on commitment to Christian beliefs and in line with Brentwood Diocesan guidelines.
De La Salle School and Language College recognises the value of, and seeks to achieve, a diverse workforce which includes people from differing backgrounds, with different skills and abilities. De La Salle School and Language College will take positive steps to create an employment culture through its governing body, managers and other employees, workers and volunteers, in which people can feel confident of being treated with fairness, dignity and tolerance, irrespective of their individual differences. This commitment extends to the whole school community and others connected with it. We have an Equality and Diversity in Employment policy complements other equalities policies within the school.
- We value all learners equally
- We recognise and respect diversity
- We foster positive attitudes and relationships, and a shared sense of cohesion and belonging
- We observe good equalities practice in staff recruitment, retention and development
- We aim to reduce and remove inequalities and barriers that already exist
- We consult and involve widely
- All of De La Salle policies are written with regard to and are compliant with the Equality Act 2010